The Fraternity Board of Directors is composed of nine alumni members elected by the delegates from all chapters for terms of three years. The board then elects its officers who are the chairman, vice chairman, treasurer and secretary. The responsibility of the board of directors is to set policies and procedures that will guide the fraternity into the future. It acts as the supreme governing body of the fraternity between meetings of the Chapter Congress.
Much alike the board of a corporation, it is charged with:
- Approving the fraternity budget and annual audit to ensure that the organization is being fiscally responsible
- Ensuring the annual goals of the fraternity are met
- Overseeing the performance of the chief executive officer
- Granting charters to new chapters allowing AKPsi to further its vision of being recognized as the premiere developer of principled business leaders
- Setting the minimum standards that all AKPsi student chapters must annually meet
- Deciding on and overseeing the discipline process for those student chapters that fail to meet minimum standards
- Determining the budget formula for use at the regional level
- Deciding on and overseeing the discipline process for AKPsi members
- Deciding on the strategic vision of the fraternity
Three member of the board – John Levering, Chad Smith and Chrissy Vasquez – have terms that expire in August 2015. The Chapter Congress, in accordance with the Constitution and Statutory Code, shall elect brothers to these three vacancies in accordance with the policies of the board of directors. The election shall be held in April by email ballot sent to the president of each chapter.
The Constitution requires that all nominations for the Fraternity Board of Directors be received at the Heritage Center no later than January 15, 2014. Candidates for director shall be nominated:
- In writing by eight (8) members in good standing, or
- In writing by three (3) members of the Management Team, or
- In writing by a member of the board of directors.
The nominees shall verify their acceptance of the nomination in writing prior to the vote. The CEO shall send such biographical information regarding the nominees to the voting members of the Chapter Congress as the board of directors may direct.
In order to nominate an individual, the candidate must:
- Be a member of the fraternity in good standing
- Have served the fraternity at least one year in a post graduate volunteer capacity
- Not be employed by the fraternity or the Alpha Kappa Psi Foundation
- Never have been removed from an office of the fraternity for cause.
Should you wish to nominate someone in accordance with the outlined procedures, as stated above, please send all nominations to the Heritage Center no later than January 15 (not postmarked by). Nominations must be received by the Chief Executive Officer in writing via email or USPS. Nominations will be considered closed as of the close of business, Eastern Standard Time, on January 15.
For questions about the board of directors’ nomination and/or election process please contact CEO Steve Hartman, CAE.