INDIANAPOLIS (October 5, 2015) – 111 years ago today, Alpha Kappa Psi was brought about from the minds of a few highly ambitious men from New York University.
Before Alpha Kappa Psi was granted its charter of incorporation, a smaller group of four individuals known as the Brooklyn Four (George L. Bergen, Howard M. Jefferson, Nathan Lane Jr. and Frederic R. Leach) gathered together with shared values and held discussions of school and their goals.
Due to working during the day and attending night classes, the four only briefly met each week. After a while, they were eager to form a larger group of like-minded men, and with full support, Douglas, Duff, Lane, Leach, Bergen, Jefferson, William O. Tremaine, Irving L. Camp, Herbert M. Wright and Morris S. Rachmil began meeting and formed the idea of a fraternity.
Determined the group needed to appoint positions to act as president, secretary, treasurer and review the constitution, Douglas was elected president; Jefferson, secretary; Lane, treasurer; Tremaine, vice president; and Rachmil, financial secretary.
These men were convinced that higher education for businessmen was a vital need in America, and they were willing to dedicate themselves to assist in encouraging such college training. Their eventual meeting on October 5, 1904 marked the founding date of Alpha Kappa Psi, setting a path of brotherhood focused on professional business practices for more than 111 years and beyond. Learn more about the history of Alpha Kappa Psi.