INDIANAPOLIS – Several changes to the fraternity’s Constitution and Statutory Code were made during the 2015 Convention. The changes were made by the Chapter Congress which consists of one delegate from each student and alumni chapter in good standing. An updated version of the Constitution and Chapter Bylaws will be available by October 31; however, the changes summarized below goes into effect immediately.
- The term limit for members on the Board of Directors was extended from two (2) three-year terms to three (3) three-year terms. (Article V, Section 1)
- The position term limit for the chairman of the board was removed to allow for greater flexibility around long-term planning and collaboration with the CEO, Heritage Center, and senior volunteer positions. (Article VII, Section 1, Subsection C)
- A multi-year dues/fees schedule reflecting additional funding to further Alpha Kappa Psi’s Strategic Plan and to expand fraternity operations, programming, and systems and IT infrastructure.
Fraternal Operations Committee:
- Changes in verbiage to bring the Constitution in agreement with current fraternal operations as a result of the regional realignment that took effect July 1, 2014 regarding the removal of alumni chapters from geographical regions and into their own alumni chapter region. (Article IV, Section 1)
- Changes in verbiage to bring the Constitution in agreement with current fraternal operations as a result of the regional realignment that took effect July 1, 2014 regarding the addition of area vice presidents to the Management Team. (Article IV, Section 2)
- The Board of Directors may review the individual memberships of collegiate chapters closed for risk management violations without using the disciplinary trial procedure. (Caput VII, Section 5)
- The maximum length of the pledge period shall be eighteen (18) weeks. The process may be extended to six (6) months upon approval of the regional director. (Caput II, Section 6, Subsection A2)
- Chapter Congress endorsed a resolution requesting the Board of Directors perform a study on the pledge education process with input of student members.
- Alexander T. Sultan,San Diego State ‘93–Life was re-elected as fraternity president.
- Michael G. Dickerson,Virginia Tech ’04–Life was elected as executive vice president.
All additional proposed legislation distributed prior to the Chapter Congress meeting at Convention was either removed from consideration by committee or failed on the floor.