The Douglas M. Halka Library at the Heritage Center features two display cases devoted to historic items from the fraternity’s past. Recently, two new items have been put on display, both from the 1920s:
A miniature badge set with sapphires was available for purchase beginning in the 1920s, although it is a mystery as to why this one was set with pearls. While jewelry ads published in the Diary at that time stated that the miniature badge was “recommended for use as a sister pin,” these badges could have easily been used as sweetheart pins as well.
The only thing known about this unusual charm is that it belonged to Walter E. Noss, Pittsburgh ‘24. His initials are engraved on the back, along with the Greek letter for ‘delta.’ Of note, the design of the coat of arms is the version that was in use before the current version was introduced in 1930.
Both items are on loan from the collection of Jeffrey E. Frank, Eastern Michigan ‘86-Life.